These truly delicious. They can be done in the microwave for approx 45-50 seconds or 6 minutes in the oven. Light and fluffy on the outside and ridiculously rich and runny inside. OK so I can’t really offer you a healthier twist other than potentially reducing the sugar with some kind of baking sweetener which is widely available. Also you could probably use gluten free flour although I’ve not tried that yet. These are certainly the way to someone’s heart (or heart surgeon if you eat too many ha ha). These are pretty much based on James Martin’s recipe so there’s nothing I can do about the butter!
For the caramel sauce
110g/4oz dark soft brown sugar
175ml/6fl oz double cream
For the melting pots
125g/4½oz 70%dark chocolate, broken into pieces Salted caramel dark chocolate would work well too
125g/4½oz butter, plus extra for greasing
4 free-range eggs
100g/3½oz caster sugar
60g/2oz plain flour (gluten free for celiac but may need to add a little Xanthan gum or similar )
4 salted caramel truffles or similar
Cocoa powder for dusting
- For the caramel sauce, place the sugar, butter and salt in a saucepan and heat until the sugar has melted, then add the cream.
- Bring it to the boil and let it simmer for three minutes until thick. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for two hours.
- For the chocolate pots, preheat a flat baking sheet in the oven set to 220C/450F/Gas 7. Grease four microwavable mini coffee cups or dariole moulds.
- Place the chocolate and butter into a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow to melt.
- Meanwhile break the eggs into a large bowl, add the sugar and whisk for two minutes or until pale and fluffy, then mix in the flour.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour it over the eggs and sugar and stir in well.
- Spoon some of the mixture into the moulds or coffee cups (if microwaving) drop the salted caramel chocolates in and add another spoonful of the mix. Only fill them three-quarters full.
- If doing them in the microwave cook for 45 seconds (approx..) or if using the oven proof moulds place the melting pots on a baking tray and cook in the oven for six minutes.
- To serve, remove the melting pots from their moulds and place in the centre of a plate. Place a quenelle of ice cream on each side of the puddings and garnish with strawberries. Dust with cocoa powder. Drizzle some of the caramel sauce on top and around the plate.
2 thoughts on “DANGEROUSLY DECADENT DARK CHOCOLATE AND SALTED CARAMEL GOOEY MELTING POTS”
Looks too yummy 🙂
I’m afraid there’s no healthy twist to put on this other than I’m sure chocolate is good for you in some country in the world and don’t forget the strawberries, part of your five a day ha ha
LikeLiked by 1 person