This dish is truly fantastic, friends came round and devoured the lot. Equally nice hot or cold, in fact I would say the cakes are probably better the next day and both dishes stand up on their own.
For the fish cakes
- 180 bassa fillet or any firm white fish, skin removed
- 150g squid, cleaned, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- A thumb sized piece of ginger
- ½ – 1 red chilli, seeds removed
- Stalks of a small bunch of fresh coriander
- pinch sea saltflakes
- pinch ground white pepper
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
- A couple of drops of sesame oil
- 1 large free-range egg white
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp finely sliced coriander stalks
- A couple of finely chopped spring onions
- 1 stick of lemon grass, bashed and roughly chopped
- Spray oil or rapeseed oil
For the noodle stir–fry
For the noodles
200g/7oz dried folded flat rice noodles
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
Fresh chilli to taste
A handful of shiitake mushrooms, stalks removed, sliced
100g smoked tofu, sliced into thin batons
1 tsp low salt dark soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp low salt light soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp oyster sauce(optional)
pinch stevia or other sweetener
A handful raw beansprouts, washed
1 large bunch (4–5) spring onions, sliced thinly into strips
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the dried rice noodles. Cook for 10 minutes until al dente, drain under cold water, drizzle over the sesame oil and toss together to prevent the noodles from sticking. Set aside.
- For the fish cakes, add the salt, ground white pepper, coriander, oyster sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, sweetener, chilli Shaoxing rice wine, egg white and cornflour to a food processor and mix well. Add the chopped fish and squid and blitz again until well combined but don’t over blend at this stage, the fish needs to remain fairly chunky.
- Divide the mix into around 12 fishcakes and sprinkle over the finely chopped spring onions. Place in fridge to firm up for about 20 mins if possible you may need to add a touch more cornflour if a bit too moist.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with low calorie oil and place on a medium heat. Add the fish cakes and fry until golden brown each side. Try not to turn it too often.
- For the noodle stir-fry, heat a wok over high heat, add the rapeseed oil until hot. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic for a few seconds, then add the shiitake mushroom and smoked tofu pieces and cook for 2 minutes, or until browning at the edges. Add the beansprouts, rice wine, sesame oil, oyster sauce, white pepper. Fry for a couple more minutes.
- Sprinkle over fresh coriander and serve immediately with the fish cakes.